Friday, June 22, 2007

Actually...

...last night's drunk chef-fery RULED, even if I were sober. I switched over from my usual beer or whiskey to gin and tonics last night, since my favorite local place doesn't have well whiskey, and well drinks during happy hour (until 9!!) are $3. I think I'm going to stick with G&Ts for a while, since I was drunk, yet had plenty of mental clarity when I got home - enough to whip up this awesome deliciousness. It's a two-parter, though if you're lazy (and rich) there's a shortcut. I give you: Fried Polenta!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketThis is why there are so many casualties in Iraq. If you would only listen to me...

First, you're going to make this with dinner one night, and you're pretty much guaranteed lots of leftovers.

Regular Polenta

Oven-safe saucepan or cassoulet...failing that, reg. saucepan and casserole dish

1 cup course cornmeal
*Goya sells a big ol' bag for like 69 cents. I didn't have enough left over, and filled in the blanks with fine cornmeal. It just requires you to add it more slowly, and you'll probably get some lumps, but it will still come out great. However, course is still strongly recommended.
1 quart water
olive oil, a glug's worth
3 tablespoons butter
five tons parmesan cheese - for real, add like a 1/4 cup. It's great. Pref. fresh.
a bay leaf, only if you have one
salt and fresh cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

Add salt to the water and put in pan on high heat. Boil the water, add that glug of olive oil and optional bay leaf. Slowly stir in cornmeal to avoid getting lumpy. Cover and put it in the oven. Stir every 10 minutes. Do this for 45 minutes. When finished, stir in butter, cheese and pepper. Sooo deliiiiiisshh

Act 2: Fried Polenta
amounts depend on how much is leftover

The much less rewarding and delicious shortcut for the lazy/rich is to by the pre-made polenta from the health food store, which comes in a tube, like you'd find the Jimmy Dean ground sausage in. Slice it up and fry it, you loser.

Leftover refrigerated polenta
egg, beaten (one should almost definitely do you regardless)
butter (yum) or olive oil (yawn), enough for frying

Gently remove the polenta from whatever container it was in, and try to keep it that shape. Cut into thick strips, or nuggets if that's the best you can manage. Dip in egg, cover in flour. Heat the oil in a pan, and fry until lightly browned. Remove to towel, and inhale while listening to silly disco music.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Anonymous said...

Rodrigo -

Oi! Blog persadao comida buentanamos excalibur exactamao! Passo e condor tuno fortunato crampos. Bem ino delicioso Goya Producto os mutantes.

Goooooal!

Colleen said...

hahaha!
I guess I was rich this weekend, because we bought some of the premade stuff and I fried it up with delicious cheese on top! As you might imag, it was delicious. Polenta is my new friend.
And I always agree that good things come in fried packages. That's why I used my Fry Daddy today (and am now regretting it).

Anonymous said...

NO REGRETS! SWEAT IT OUT, KANE! ULTIMATE BADMINTON! GET OUT THERE AND LET'S SO YOU SPIKE THAT SHUTTLECOCK!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog heге! Alsο your ѕitе loaԁs
up fаst! What hоst aгe уou usіng?
Can I gеt уouг affiliatе link to youг hοst?
I wіѕh mу ωeb site loaded up
аs fast аs yourѕ lol

Also vіѕit my ωebpаge; stone therapy
my site :: therapeutic touch

Anonymous said...

buy best ZYNQAMoV [URL=http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/]gucci online store[/URL] suprisely HJNPyQjj [URL=http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/ ] http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

click OBbdMkJh [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/]knock off designer purses[/URL] for more detail tybNCQlN [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ ] http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ [/URL]